"A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling."
(NIV)

This is a blog about widows,
mothers and daughters,
facing change and challenges
and receiving ordinary, everyday blessings that don't seem quite so ordinary anymore.
It chronicles the journey from grief into the restoration of what has been lost.

*** I am no longer actively posting to this site, so please come visit me at my new site ***

http://www.jrrmblog.com/ - "Starting Over ... Again"

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Wednesday's "Fall Back Into Blogging" - Sweaters = Fall

One of the things that I look forward to most about fall is the chance to get my sweaters off the shelf in my closet and back into my apparel rotation.  I love the cozy feel of sweaters, and have since I was in elementary school.  There is something about their softness and warmth that reminds me of cool, crisp school mornings while waiting for the bus. 



School shopping for me coincided with my early August birthday, and my grandmother always insisted on taking me to lunch at the Tea Room in Meier & Frank (back before it was May Co.) - to her back then, it was the height of sophistication.  There I would invariably order a French Dip sandwich, and she would let me order a hot fudge sundae as a special birthday treat.  Then we would commence to shop for cute sweater sets, cable-knit knee socks and sturdy brown "school shoes."

I like scarfs now, too.  Never really thought much about them when I was younger, because they were always the heavy, cabled ones that your grandmother knitted (that would be my OTHER grandmother, because the one who took me school shopping didn't knit or sew or crochet), but as I get older a lightweight, pretty scarf appeals to me more and more each year.  So now it's time to bring out my sweaters and scarves in all their glorious colors and textures!  Yum!

12 comments:

  1. I've been enjoying switiching out my closets! I love layering my sweaters and scarves and getting some new boots;)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New boots - that's what I need! Even thought the leaves are turning her, and nights are cooler it's still warm by mid afternoon. So I haven't been jumping into the sweaters and scarves like I want to. But there will be time. :)

      Delete
  2. The older I get, the more I love scarves. True story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Thanks for stopping by, Christa. I checked out your blog - and I will be back to read more. :)

      Delete
  3. Yes! Sweaters and leggings are the ultimate comfort clothing for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WISH I could wear leggings. Oh well, long sweaters hide a multitude of things - thank goodness!

      Delete
  4. I am so happy that it will be sweater season here very soon. I just wish my shoe game was up to par. I need new boots. And I wanted to say that I actually smiled at "sturdy brown school shoes". I use the phrase when talking about work shoes and loafers. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shanna. I hope you have a wonderful weekend, too. :)

      Delete
  5. JAHAJA Your grandmothers sound like mine. One who was the domestic Goddess and one who was so NOT! Glad you have happy birthday memories and may you continue making more. BB2U

    P.S. Babushka loves scarves too, but I wear them around my head. ; )
    Here from the Weekend Blog post showcase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here in Bakersfield, California it is STILL the height of Summer. I used to go to tea with my Granny, too. Shopping was a big deal back when I was a kid, not an everyday occurrance. I am wearing scarves, but because I am recovering from melanoma surgery and don't want to frighten people with my scar. LOL. Glad I found you from the Weekend Showcase (or is it Spotlight?) This is my first week and I'm meeting some great women! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need sweaters!my wardrobe needs an update! I too have grown to love scarves more too. Sounds like you had an amazing relationship with your grandmother. That is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great memory of your Birthday spent with your grandmother! Tis the season for sweaters and socks once again. I miss summer already!!

    ReplyDelete